Monday, October 25, 2010

Why I Go to Church

Living without parents changes a lot of things. Suddenly, I am responsible for everything. I make my own food, do my own laundry, and manage my own schedule. While managing my own schedule can be a good thing, it can also be difficult sometimes. Deciding whether I should do homework, or watch a movie; take a walk or ride the bus; and the most important: go to church, or stay home. Before living on my own, this decision was simple: go to church with my family. I had friends to see and family to sit with. Now, I am on my own in an alien ward, without family or old friends. What once was an easy choice has suddenly become difficult.
So how do I make the decision on whether to go to church or stay home? The answer is to change my attitude. Rather than think of the homework I have, or how tired I am, or what food I want to eat, I should think of the blessings I receive when I go to church. I become rejuvenated through the spirit, receive revelation, and come closer to my Heavenly Father when I go to church. I am able to partake of the sacrament and learn new doctrine when I go to the meetings. When I think about going to church in this way, the pros heavily outweigh the cons. My decision becomes easier. I'm not saying that I won't have Sundays when I want to stay home, but I believe that this attitude will help keep me going to church every week.

No comments:

Post a Comment