Monday, November 8, 2010

Saved by Playing the Organ

Music plays such an important role in my life. It reduces my stress, helps me concentrate, and helps me feel the spirit. Since school began, I seem to be listening to music a lot, whither I'm at work, doing homework, or just relaxing. However, because I have so much homework, I have a difficulty finding the time to play music on the piano or my violin. In the past, playing my instruments has been my way of coping with life, and made me feel like I was doing something worthwhile. Now that I don't get the chance to play them very often, I treasure the time I do have to enjoy the piano and my violin.
On the other hand, I  have been taking an organ class this semester. While the class is difficult and the teachers are very critical, I have been able to find great joy in playing the organ. I enjoy being able to do something I enjoy apart from my usual schedule of classes, homework, and work; and it has become my creativity's new outlet.  Playing the organ is now my new way to reduce stress here at school, and I am sure it has helped me to do better in my classes. I have learned to love the way it sounds and the exhileration I get when I play the pedals. If I have learned to love anything about my classes thus far, it is my love of the organ.

1 comment:

  1. The title caught my eye and made me want to quit grading and go play the piano.

    ReplyDelete